Gonna set the way back machine again for around 1998-1999 when I was playing a lot of D&D 3rd ed. Our group was kinda small and sometimes it would just be the DM, my friend and me playing so we would have to double up on characters in order to run a game. That's were these two polar opposites come in.
Kira, the shining paladin of Heironeous fresh out of training at the tender age of 16. Her training did not go as she had hoped however. A prodigy she might have been, but ready to take the field of battle she was not. Which was why her first assignment was to watch over -
Pence. What would you get if you put Quagmire from "Family Guy" in the body of Frodo? You'd get Pence. Pretty much the loudest, most obnoxious character I've ever played. He was your typical Halfling Rogue. Though he had learned you can distract just as many people being loud as you could sneak up on being silent. His latest exploits had put him in the bad graces of the local defense force. The only thing that saved his tiny little neck, was that his "skills" were needed by the king to retrieve something of the highest value. In order to assure his co-operation, he was assigned a watcher, protector and defender.
Sadly we never finished the story arc these two are in. It's a shame too, I had some of the most epics in-character fights I've ever had. Ever felt crazy for having a conversation in your head about whether or not to do something? If you have, now try and imagine doing that out loud and with imaginary people who only exist on paper. It's enough to make a shrink see little cartoon $$$$ in his eyes. But it was sooooo much fun. Pence would run off and try to do something, Kira would yell at him. Sometimes he would feed her bad info, make her a distraction for a group of people, just to steal money pouches. I used these two for all kinds of crazy things. Once I made the DM pissed because I kept looting with Pence instead of Kira to avoid having her give any gold away. I just explained to him that since she was so young that she was a bit naive and trusted where he was telling her to look while he went and got the real goods. Like Bakish though, I haven't had the opportunity to ever play them again and they only progressed to lvl 3. Pitty, I think if we'd continued I could have driven everyone nuts arguing with myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment