This is the last of my 3rd ed. D&D characters I'm going to do. There were others but they were just new guys generated for one certain scenario or another.
Until I started playing World of Darkness, this was the character I had to role play the most. I never had put much thought into what I did with a character or what their motivations were for doing what I did. I just ran in, threw some spells at things, watched them die and start all over again. I'd do stuff to keep things interesting while we were in towns but that's about it. This character changed all that. I was ask by my buddy to play a cleric that he had written up, the twist: I was the bad guy. I now had to plan my actions very carefully, think about what I was doing and if what I was doing would blow my cover. The story went like this:
I was a high ranking member of a Doomsday cult (we never got the name of it)
My goal was to retrieve the pieces of a highly powerful and nearly immortal Lich (no, it wasn't Vecna). Thousands of years ago the Lich had almost destroyed the entire world when he was finally beaten and parts of him thrown to the other planes. I had some good intel that there was a portal located on the land of some local wealthy land owners. I was ordered to procure entry to the portal, persons to help with the retrieval, and to ensure those that did help never saw the light of day again. Easy enough, I just had to lie to some of my closest friends and not have them be suspicious. Oh and one other thing, I kinda suck at lying. Normally a good trait to have but here it would unravel the entire story line and my friend had worked really hard on writing it.
I begin by going to the mansion where they resided after setting up a meeting with them a couple weeks prior. First lie right here, I had found out that they were devout followers of Pelor, so naturally I had killed a priest and was using his robes to impersonate a priest of Pelor. Surprisingly, no one could detect the ruse ( I also had a ring that hid my alignment so that helped). I began negotiations with an even bigger lie. I told them that the church had found a portal on their property that could lead to a very important holy relic. Ok, so it wasn't really a lie, I just didn't tell them what church and what relic hehe. When discussing the price for their services I was met with a pleasant surprise. They were already wealthy and money wasn't really important so instead of asking for gold they ask for something more important to them: The church's endorsement of their family which would re-enforce their position as nobles. I could barely contain the laughter, so I said "Of course the church will endorse you". I thought I was going to have to give up some of my massive stockpile of gold, but hell I can promise the endorsement of a church I don't work for.
Skipping a bit. We wind up on one of the levels of the abyss. Apparently hell froze over cause it was snowing and none of us had packed warm weather gear. We see a building up above and I point it out as the one we need to get to. This is where we get our first fight, a young white dragon. Yeah, Mike had decided that he was gonna make this tough as hell. The fight takes almost all we have and we barely make it through. We push on to the building and find it descends into the ground a great distance. As we went further and further down each level brought huge dangers. I have to say Mike did his best work with this one. Finally reaching the bottom, we see the relic. We also saw what was in front the the relic, the D&D version of the Balrog (can't remember what they call it). We collectively crapped our pants. I truly wish I could remember all the details of this fight. The only thing I remember for certain is that I made my first slip up here. I cast a destruction spell, something that a lawful good cleric could never do. The good thing was, no one caught it. Our foe vanquished, it was time for me to reveal my true nature. I opened a portal to what appeared to be their grounds, in reality it was the chapel where we practiced our rituals. They stepped through and were taken to be tortured looking back seeing only my face laughing at them. I was laughing out of character too at the look of astonishment on my friend's faces.
No comments:
Post a Comment