Tuesday, January 11, 2011

40k batrep week 1

I'll make this short and sweet. I don't batrep the way others do. I don't take pics during the game as I'm too busy figuring out what I'm doing to stop and snap off a pic. I don't do narration cause I don't have that kind of time, and I don't publish my opponents list cause quite frankly, I don't remember them and don't make an effort to.  So with that in mind, here we go.

First up was a deathwing termie list, played by the toughest player in the store.

First turn was easy enough, as he deployed only a single dread and left the rest of his army to come in from reserve. I in turn, did my usual strategy (which no one is surprised by anymore) of leaving my entire force in reserve. So, in essence, not a damn thing happened first turn.

Second turn saw half his army come in (he only had two troops) and deep strike on his objective. I chose to not use my Autarch bonus and try to keep my guys off the table for another turn and give him less chance to kill me. It worked........almost. One stubborn  squad of warwalkers decided to come in on their own, and took a potshot at the termie squad he had just dropped in.

Third turn saw the other half of his force drop in on his second objective (thus giving him completion of his primary), and the taking out of one of my warwalkers. My turn, I turn on the bonus and bring the rest of my army screaming in. Ok, so maybe it was more like whimpering in. Here's where I made a pretty large blunder, instead of hiding my two fast skimmers to block LOS and keep them alive (all I had to do was get two vehicles in his deployment zone) I chose to go for the win on turn 3. Not a good idea. Shooting sees my walkers fail again against his dread and one of his termie squads.

Turn four things took a turn for the worst. With nothing left to do but hold his objective, he turns, drops one squad of walkers, and uses his dread to down one of my wave serpents. My turn four sees little action from me as I realize the error of my way and back my remaining serpent behind a wall.

Turn five saw the loss of my other walker ensuring that I could not complete my objective. I made a last ditch attempt to contest one of his objectives, but was way too far away. Roll for turn 6 and get a 1. Sadly that was seemed to be the theme for me for the night, "oh, something important needs to happen, eh, here's a 1".

Reflecting on the game, I could have done it a little different. If I had hid my skimmers behind the wall, not only could I have made a late turn charge to his deployment zone, but I could have landed them near enough his objective to possibly contest thus denying him any points at all. Oh well, live and learn.

Looking forward to next week and my next game though, cause win or lose, it's all about the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment