Saturday, January 8, 2011

Character Profile: Bakish of Ravenwinter

This was one of my favorite characters from D&D 3rd ed. Only the second one I ever had (the first being a 2nd ed character played once). I leveled him from 1-12 and would have went further but my group fell apart and I haven't been able to use him since. So, he wound up being a lvl 6 sorcerer lvl 6 dragon desciple and that's it. Seeing how I was a lot younger and less into the role play aspect of the games, I never got around to writing a backstory for him. I would just make up small details here and there to explain away some of the "quirks" in his personality (like his drinking). I played him as a very loud, very agitated drunk. The main problem with that being he was half-elvish and a sorcerer, not the best combo for being a drunk. That is what led to what I consider one of my more humorous moments, though the party didn't think so.

We had just slogged through a long dungeon (the reason for being there is lost to time) the session before and we started the new one off in a tavern (of course, where else are you going to start a new run). Bakish was being his usual cheery self when he noticed a dwarf at the bar. Having just survived quite a bit (our DM could be a very harsh dude) he considered himself ready to take on just about anything. So, much to the dismay of the rest of the group, he goes up and challenges the dwarf to a drinking contest. Some of you can see where this is going. He starts off well, then as usual, the dice start to let me down and I fail a couple of stamina tests which leads to an exchange something like this.

DM: Ok, you are totally drunk out of your mind now.
Me: Sure, not like I haven't been here before. In character: "Hey everyone, look what I can do!" (my intent was to cast a couple lvl 0 spells and make a light show of sorts. I succeded.........kinda)
DM: Well, if you're going to start trying to cast something while drunk, Let's see if you miss cast.
(Dice roll: 1) Oh, that's not good. (DM smirks, never a good sign) You just learned Fireball didn't you?
Me: Yeah, why?
DM: Ok then, you miss cast fireball inside the tavern. You hit the kegs behind the bar.
Me: (no words just a grim expression as I realize the entire bar is about to go up in smoke)
To make a long story short, the entire bar caught fire and we were ran out of town without rest and without food. I was not very popular after that.

I am still working on the backstory for this character so maybe I'll have it up someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment