Saturday, January 29, 2011

Character Profile: Kai 'Al Sun

The Man. The Myth. The Legend. The Character with the most death threats made against Him. Kai 'Al Sun. What else can I say about him. Kai was the character I made after a very long hiatus from RPGing (11 years to be exact) for the Dark Heresy campaign I was going to be in. He's a character that almost didn't get off the ground. I knew I wanted to create an Imperial Psyker so I didn't roll for that aspect of him, everything else I did and that's where the weirdness started. I almost started him all over again when I rolled his homeworld as being a feral world. Basically an Imperial backwater world with no or very limited technology. Generally associated with warriors and the like. Not a good start for someone whose supposed to be good with his mind. Then I made the stat rolls. High toughness, high strength, on and on his stats were becoming extreme with the exception of his ballistic (shooting) skill, and his fellowship (how likely people are to follow him) score. I now had something I had never seen before. The way things usually go is that a mage, psyker, caster, whatever they're called in the particular game are always good at range but once you get them in close they die. Now I had someone that could say "I'm going to kill you with the power of my mind, and if that doesn't work I've got an axe!" I set out to make him a close combat monster and by the time the campaign had to break up due to the GM leaving, he was doing around 25 points of damage per hit and he got 3 hits per turn!

I have a lot of material on this guy, his backstory is around 4 pages long and I'm working on writing up the missions we were on for my "Tales of the Imperium" series I'm doing. All of that will wind up on these pages eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment