Tuesday, January 18, 2011

40k batrep week 2

40K league week two saw me play against one of my Ork playing buddies. I used the same list from last week.
Deployment saw us roll flank march per the “Rules of Engagement” rule set. It was basically a modified table corners with an 18” neutral zone in the middle. I won the roll to go first and promptly gave it to  my opponent. On the roll for victory conditions I got “Phase out” which meant I had to kill 54 out of 71 orks on the table, with a secondary objective of getting a unit above 50% in his deployment zone. He got “Breakthrough” which had him trying to get at least 2 units in my deployment zone at half strength or above, with a secondary of controlling at least one of my objectives.
His deployment saw him cluster all three ork squads due to space constraints. I placed my walkers up front and my wave serpents more toward the back. My plan was to hopefully seize the initiative and be able to drop some templates before he was able to spread out and get into cover. Roll for seize, 4. Gee,  this is starting off well.
Turn 1 Ork movement was quick as he moved and ran his guys toward my deployment zone. That was it.
My turn 1 see’s my walkers and my EML serpent drop templates on one of the closer squads. With scatter and everything, I manage to kill 13 with 9 templates. Not as many as I had hoped, but enough to force a pin check and a leadership test to run which he passed easily.
Turn 2 saw more moving and running and a careful pondering on whether or not to use the WAGHHHHHH!!!! this turn. Figuring that he was out of range he does not.
Bottom of 2 I move my walkers back in an attempt to keep distance from the Orks and my serpents move up a little so I can get my Avengers out next turn. At this point he has his guys spread out really well and out of the 9 EML shots, I only manage 2 kills. Another pin and leadership test and he passes both again.
Turn 3 more moving, more running as the WAGHHHHHH!!!! is  put off for another turn.
Bottom of 3 more retreating (advancing in another direction) from me and more missile launcher shooting. This time, however, I had moved my Avengers out of their transport and advanced them toward the Orks I had been shooting all game. DA shots and only the Nob is left standing. My Autarch rolls for fleet, and….. gets a 1. Damn. Outta charge range. I throw my DA’s at the Nob and manage one wound on him. He in turn eats my DA’s and runs them down. The other part of the shooting phase see’s my walkers start taking aim at the bottom squad he has been quietly moving up. EML’s fire and hit a few (can’t remember how many). Then seeing how he had no grenades and only the Nob could hurt me, I charged both walker squads into assault. I think here is where we may have made a mistake. One squad of walkers won their combat, the other two exploded. Leaving the remaining Orks free, I think we misplayed that and those Orks should have still been locked in combat. This doesn’t really change anything, but I like to play correctly. As it stood, the Orks left combat victorious and consolidated.
Turn 4 WAGHHHHHH!!!! Ghazkul and his untouched squad charge in on the Autarch, while the bottom squad charges my other wave serpent. Assaults see my Autarch manage only one wound on the squad (I wasn’t even gonna try and hit the big guy) with his 5 power weapon attacks. In return he looked Ghaz and 4 boyz in the face and took everything they had(it helped that the dice failed my opponent and missed with a lot of Ghaz’s attacks) I won the combat, he took a fearless save and lost another guy. The squad against my serpent saw only one penetrating hit for a result of stunned, which thanks to Spirit Stones was downgraded to shaken.
Bottom of 4, I make a mad dash toward his deployment zone it’s gonna take me 2 turns to get there so if this ends on 5 there’s no chance for either of my conditions. Shooting see’s more template goodness on the bottom squad, seeing how the other on was still locked in combat. A few die and I almost nail myself with one of the templates. I then assault with my walkers again and end up wiping the squad thanks to being able to make a sweeping advance with war walkers. How they can do it and Termie’s can’t I don’t understand. On the other side of the field, things are much worse for my Autarch. Seeing how a bunch more boyz and a Nob came into play with him, I throwdown on the squad again and again only manage one kill. Then Ghaz winds up his big claw and SQUISH no more Autarch. Consolidation has the Orks going toward my objective, humm, wonder why.
Turn 5 not much going on for the boys in green, they’ve got their secondary in hand and can’t complete their primary so they stay put.
Bottom of 5 I turn and burn again and pray for anything but a one or two. I get a 4.

Turn 6 Same thing from the Orks.
In return I moved my walkers closer, popped off some missiles and knocked off a couple more out of the squad taking me down to 4 left to phase out. My serpents continued their journey to the other side. I move my walkers into assault since I’m so close to getting him down. My attacks fail to do anything, then his returns blow the walkers up and the explosion kills 2. All I need now is a turn 7 and I can get my primary. Roll for game end, 5. Game over. Neither of us got our primary objective and both achieved our secondary for a tie. 
 Looking back I think I may have made a mistake in not keeping exact count on the models I killed. I was thinking more that I had to kill all of them when I only needed a handfull and I may have achieved my primary and didn't  even know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment